Learn About the 2023 Toolkit
Financial confidence is inclusive in that it recognizes that Savers have unique circumstances, and even if you are in a scenario that makes it difficult or impossible to save at this moment — you are committed to doing the work, taking control of your finances, and becoming more financially stable.
As an organization, we are dedicated to helping build financial confidence because it is a place where we can support ALL people, including the most vulnerable among us.
This America Saves Week we’ll join together and elevate a national conversation that encourages individuals to take control of their financial future. No matter where your community is on their financial journey, they’ll clearly see the steps they can take now that will inform and shore up their financial stability.
As always, each day of America Saves Week will have its own theme that touches on five important areas of financial wellness; however, this year some of those themes have been broadened so that you, our participating organizations, can connect with the concepts in the way that best supports your community and the work you do.
Together, thousands of organizations and institutions will amplify information, resources, and tools that will ensure we are prepared for the next emergency.
2023 Daily Themes
Saving Automatically | Monday, February 27, 2023
Saving For The Unexpected | Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Saving For Major Milestones | Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Paying Down Debt Is Saving | Thursday, March 2, 2023
Saving At Any Age | Friday, March 3, 2022
Sign up to become a participating organization. As a participating organization, you’ll receive access to the America Saves Week 2023 Digital Toolkit, invitations to exclusive webinars, and training in how to make the most of #ASW2023 and become eligible to earn the Designation of Savings Excellence or Savings Champions awards.
2023 Daily Themes
Day One | Saving Automatically
The most simple and effective way to save is to set up automatic savings.
Whether you’re splitting your direct deposit and funneling a portion of your paycheck into savings, or you set up an automatic transfer through your financial institution, by utilizing automated savings you are confidently building a healthy habit of saving.
“Saving is a habit, not a destination.” Automatic savings is one way to easily build that habit. On this day we’ll collectively encourage and share the following messages, strategies, and tips:
- Ways to incorporate automatic savings into your money habits
- How to overcome mindset blocks and negative self-talk to help you confidently save
- No amount is too small when it comes to saving.
Be sure to look at the additional content, messaging, special events, and resources that support the “Saving Automatically” theme inside the #ASW2023 Digital Toolkit.
Day Two | Saving For The Unexpected
Having short-term savings is essential to overall financial stability and boosts your financial confidence. What’s short-term savings? Having savings set aside for those unexpected emergencies and opportunities that arise.
Whether it’s needing to have an appliance or car repaired, or the opportunity to join your friends on a last minute weekend getaway, having short-term savings on hand allows you to take care of those unexpected expenses without dipping into funds you need for the present (like bills) and the future (like retirement).
On this day we’ll elevate the following messages:
- The importance of building a short-term savings account for emergencies and opportunities
- If you’re just starting out with a short-term savings account, set a realistic goal for yourself to build a savings habit like $500.
- Saving is cyclical. While you’re building savings, you will have to spend it. You can release any shame around dipping into your savings account when you’ve set up automatic savings.
Additional content, messaging, special events, and resources to support the “Saving for the Unexpected” theme will be available inside the #ASW2023 Digital Toolkit.
Day Three | Saving For Major Milestones
How do you save for so many things at once? One of the most overwhelming parts of saving for everyday Americans is balancing saving for so many competing priorities. Not only do you need to save for short-term emergencies and opportunities, but also future and long-term goals. Those long-term goals include major milestones like education, homeownership, and retirement.
On this day we’ll share strategies and resources that will allow you to plan for those major life milestones in addition to emergencies and present needs, helping you to feel more financially confident.
- Determining which milestones you’re saving for
- How to get a clear view of your finances so that you can include saving for major life milestones
- Why your future self will thank you for saving for something that feels so far away
Additional content, messaging, special events, and resources to support the “Saving for Major Life Milestones” theme is available inside the #ASW2023 Digital Toolkit.
Day Four | Paying Down Debt Is Saving
When you make the decision to pay down or pay off your debt you are saving! Some of the benefits of reducing your debt include saving on interest, late fees, and maintaining or increasing your credit score. As you pay off your debt, you free up cash flow, allowing you to steward those funds toward saving for something else that’s meaningful. Paying down your debt and being able to save for what’s important to you contributes greatly toward your financial confidence and stability.
On this day we’ll elevate the following messages:
- The ways in which paying down your debt is saving
- The different options and strategies for paying down your debt
- How to cultivate a positive relationship with credit
Additional content, messaging, special events, and resources to support the “Paying Down Debt is Saving” theme is available inside the #ASW2023 Digital Toolkit.
Day Five | Saving At Any Age
Saving is a lifelong skill and habit. You’re never too young to start learning and implementing positive savings behaviors. You’re also never too old to make positive changes, break cycles, and chart a different path when it comes to your finances.
Because there are a lot of emotions tied to finances, creating a positive mindset and relationship with money builds our financial confidence.
On this day we want to encourage Savers to take control of their finances no matter where they are in their journey, along with ways they can ensure the young people in their lives have a good foundation of financial education.
We’ll elevate the following messages:
- The tangible and intangible ways to introduce a savings mindset to children and young adults
- How to release any negative emotions and stories you may be telling yourself about your relationship with money
- How to jumpstart your new savings journey if you are ready to take control of your finances
Additional content, messaging, special events, and resources to support the “Saving at Any Age” theme is available inside the #ASW2023 Digital Toolkit.
Sign Up for America Saves Week
- Get access to the America Saves Week 2023 Digital Toolkit.
- Be recognized on the America Saves Week website as a Participating Organization.
- Get exclusive invites to webinars and training opportunities with the America Saves staff to help make it a successful week.
- Be eligible to earn the coveted Designation of Savings Excellence and Savings Champion Awards.